CENTA is products coupling of Rexnord manufacturer - USA. This product used to protect the shaft for the diesel engine when using with the cardan shaft.
Every cardan shaft creates axial and radial reaction forces. The amount depends - among other reasons - on the transmitted torque and the operating angle. Under considerable operating angle these forces can become dangerous to the crankshaft of the diesel engines.
Intermediate coupling types like the CENTAX-V are perfectly suited to tune the system in regard of torsional vibrations, but reaction forces coming from the cardan shaft are transmitted through the coupling to the crankshaft. Therefore on applications where cardan shaft angles are greater than 3 to 4 degrees most diesel engine manufacturers recommend the use of a flange mounted bearing husing. This flanged bearing housing transmits the unwanted reaction forces to the flywheel housing and keeps them away from the crankshaft. The bearing housing is fitted on the flywheel side with either a highly flexible CENTAMAX or a highly flexible CENTAFLEX-R coupling to dampen the torsional vibrations.
The CENTA-FH bearing housing has the following advantages:
- Protects the crankshaft from the reaction forces coming from the cardan shaft.
- Ideal torsional vibration tuning due to combination with different types of highly flexible couplings.
- High capacity bearings with long term lubrication to achieve extended lifetime, little maintenance.
- Compact design, light weight due to bearing housing being manufactured from hardened aluminium.
- Extensive internal ventillation to reduce the ambient temperature around the flexible coupling.